TikTok is a video-sharing social networking service owned by ByteDance, a Chinese company founded in 2012 by Zhang Yiming. It is used to create short dance, lip-sync, comedy and talent videos. Teenagers have a lot extremely crazy for this application.
Benefits of TikTok:
Wholesome entertainment– The major advantage of TikTok application is that it serves as a great form of entertainment.
Instant publicity -Who does not want to be famous? TikTok provides an awesome platform to people who wish to become famous among people without having any specialized skills or talents.
What’s the dark side of using tiktok? Potential Negative Effects of TikTok.
- Addiction: Since the app boasts an “endless stream” of material, students are likely to spend a long time in the app and might even become addicted to watching the videos for hours at a time.
- Cause nuisance: Constant use of this application has become a pain more than enjoyment for people.
- Bullying / harassment tool : Some people use this application to make fun of people, community, religion, etc. Students are being bullied on TikTok. Some students are making fun of each other’s videos, while others are making videos just to ridicule their fellow students.
- Waste of time: This application is seen to be a time-waster. People unnecessarily spend a lot of time in creating music videos. The time they put in creating these videos when invested in learning any new skill or knowledge can prove to be a lot more advantageous to them in the future.
- Comparison: Some students make outrageous, and even dangerous, videos to get more likes and followers. Hashtag challenges are an easy way to gain likes, but some of the challenges are not appropriate for tweens and teens.
- Inadequate content: Parents are worried about their inappropriate content. A majority of them are shocked to see their little angels in indecent sexual proposals and poses that do not suit their age. Looking at the privacy risks and mature content, the age limit to use of this application should be a minimum of sixteen years.
- Safety Concerns: Apps like TikTok can easily be used by predators to solicit minors because the app makes it easy for strangers to direct message children.
- Mental Health: Some experts report it can be easy to come across triggering content on the app that could promote issues like self-harm or eating disorders.